Hand symbol? Hand sign? Hand signal? I don’t know what you call that thing that everyone does when they put their thumbs together to make the “W”, but what I do know is that it needs to change as soon as possible.
Out with the old:
1. It started with Bret Bielema, who I think we can all agree is an enormous douchebag. He’s trying to do the same thing at Arkansas now. As great as it was losing three straight Rose Bowls, it’s time to leave that era behind us. Do Badger fans really want the universal symbol for Wisconsin to be something that was created by one of the most hated guys on campus?
2. It looks too much like Miami’s “U” logo. Obviously it’s not the exact same and we’re not copying the Hurricanes when we do it, but that’s what people from other schools think when they see it.
3. For lack of a better term, it’s just LAME. There’s nothing intimidating or flashy about the W that we currently use, and the only time I ever wanna see it again is if you look like Kylie from Madison:
In with the new:
1. You can do it with one hand. Look at any of the great hand symbols that are legendary in college sports. Hook Em at Texas. Victory at USC. Guns Up at Texas Tech. They all only use one hand.
2. You don’t have to put your beer down to do it. Everyone knows the only time you throw up the W is when you’re posing for pictures anyway, and it’s annoying every time you have to drop whatever you’re holding to use both hands. This is just an easier motion – Hell, Ben Brust can do it in his sleep.
3. Nigel Hayes said so.